Tuesday, July 28, 2009

goodbye to an Old Friend

Call me a dork, but I was so sad to sell our car a few weeks ago. Even though it had some really annoying quirks and gave us more than our fair share of trouble over the years (lots of funny stories...for another time), that car had been like a third member of our marriage - with us from the very beginning, through the good and the bad. Haha...but really, it was our first car together and we have so many good memories with it.  So - for being a dork's sake - here's a few of them...
-Kurt picked me up for our very first date in that car almost 5 years ago. I specifically remember him apologizing that he didn't have a "nicer" car and then I pretended to turn around and go back inside my apartment like I wouldn't date him because of his car. Haha...you had to be there I guess.... but it was funny okay??
-Our first kiss happened standing right outside the passenger side door....awwww.....cute....
-Lets be honest - we made out in that car a million times when we were dating. (sorry mom)
-One time I stole it without Kurt knowing and totally washed and vacuumed it out for him. I was such a good girlfriend :)
-It was the car we drove away in after our wedding reception.
-It has faithfully taken us across the country and back SEVERAL times. California, Ohio, New Jersey, New York, Washington DC, North Carolina, you name it!
-We slept in it overnight in a scary parking garage in North Carolina when I was 4 months pregnant so Kurt could try out for Who Wants to be a Millionaire....it's a long story.....don't ask....
-We brought our first baby home from the hospital in it - and then 15 months later we had to call the fire department to come get him out when he got locked inside.  Oops.
-Most of our long meaningful conversations - whether while we were dating, engaged, or married - happened in that car while driving around for no good reason other than to just be together.
Again - I'm a dork, but it was sad to say goodbye to something that had a lot of good memories attached to it.  So.....so long dear car!  Thanks for the good times and even for the frustrating ones.  You served us well and I'll remember you forever :)

(our last night with our dear friend)


8 comments:

acutely cherished said...

Aw! I was sad to get rid of our car last spring too, even if it was to upgrade. So many memories! Wish Kurt well on the Bar for us!!

Hey, It's me...Jessica said...

Ha! You're no dork! Our first car was a Mercury Sable lovingly named "The Machine". It was a sad day when we had to move on. We practically met and feel in love in that car. Can anyone say -Road trip?

Good luck on that test!

Unknown said...

I named my first car Hector Chavez and was more than excited when it died! hahahaha

I can understand, this car had sentimental value! It is pretty cute you can associate so many good memories with it!

Kamae said...

That's how we felt when we sold Matt's little red Nissan. We told the guy who was buying it a little bit about how sentimental the car was to us and he asked if we wanted some time alone with it before he drove it away. We didn't need any alone time but he probably thought we were nuts!

britta said...

sniff sniff... I hate that you had to say goodbye! What wonderful memories! And... you make me laugh. I miss you!

rach & scott said...

haha... I totally have memories in that car, too! We went to the monster truck rally in it AND I was there, too, when you stole it to clean it out. I had a feeling about those make-out sessions that were going on;)... love it. So sad you had to sell it.

Jamie Lynn said...

I love this post. Seriously so cute. Hope the test went well :)

Kyle and Amanda said...

I totally agree. Don't sell it! Keep it forever!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...