Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Burger King and my Epiphany

I had a little epiphany today. An "Aha moment" as Oprah would say. (By the way, did you hear she has a long lost sister? What the ?!) Anyway. This very distinguished epiphany of mine happened at a very distinguished place. Burger King. Of course.

You see, the place was PACKED. I don't know why that surprised me, seeing as how it was 12:15 in the afternoon on a Wednesday. Of course it was packed, DUH! It was filled with other moms who, like me, were probably just trying to do something with their kids to try to ease the aches and pains of cabin fever.

Jack was being a doll. I mean, seriously, he was being so well-behaved and obedient and I just looked across the table at him eating his little chicken nuggets and couldn't help but grin at his greatness. He was just chatting away like he always does. Talking so loud and not caring who heard him. I told him I loved him and he'd say it right back. "I love you too, Mommy." Then he ran off to the slide and every time he climbed one step higher in that gross playplace, he would look down and make sure I was watching and shout, "Look Mommy!!!"

Then it hit me. My Aha moment...right there in the middle of Burger King surrounded by a bunch of screaming kids. I pictured him a few years from now. As a teenager maybe. When he probably won't want to be sitting at a table eating lunch with his mom with a bunch of other kids around watching. When he definitely won't be saying "look mommy!" in front of all his friends when he does something he's proud of. And I guess there's even a chance he won't be as eager to respond so enthusiastically when I tell him I love him.

I was reminded that these sweet days with my 3 year old are numbered. And at that moment I wanted nothing more than to take advantage of every second of this little Burger King date.

So I did.

As he climbed higher and higher I excitedly shouted, "I'm so proud of you!!!" I smiled and waved and when I couldn't see him I'd go look for him so he would see me and know I was watching. There were even a couple times when I said, "hey Jack?" And when he looked back at me I would say, "I love you!!" just so I could say it with everyone watching.

And he said it right back. In front of all the other 3 year olds. Every time.

8 comments:

Hey, It's me...Jessica said...

Growing up happens way too fast. This age rocks. Way to enjoy it!

acutely cherished said...

Love that! It is sometimes so hard to remember to just sit back and enjoy these wild kiddo's!
You look so cute in all your pictures, by the way!! :)

kristine [kristine. or polly.] said...

This was SUCH a sweet story. I loved it so much! I don't have children yet... but someday I will and I'll be able to understand this even better :)

Kristine. Or Polly.

Megan said...

That was beautiful Marie... those moments definitely outweigh the not-so-fun mommmy moments. What a cute little guy!

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

hahaha adorable!

Malinovka said...

Love this post!!! Gotta have the "aha moments." I wish I had them more often because my kids' childhood is going to pass me by if I'm not careful.

Also I can't wait for your 30 outfits! :) What a great idea. Thanks for sharing the link.

Marlies said...

okay i seriously love this post, love jack, and love YOU! You are the best momma ever! And the BEST sister ever!!

Michelle said...

So so so true! Thank you for the reminder.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...