We were getting ready for church.
Things were hectic and crazy like they always are on Sunday mornings.
I happened to catch Sam out of the corner of my eye, concentrating so hard and working tirelessly to button his little white shirt.
Suddenly time stopped and I wanted nothing else in the world except to sit there and just watch him.
So I did. I sat down on the floor and watched him.
I snapped a few pictures on my phone to remember the moment. His little four year old body, his tan round belly sticking out, the buttons that didn't match up with the right holes...
Suddenly I saw him 15 or so years from now, buttoning a (much bigger) white shirt.
Buttoning his white shirt the day he leaves on his mission…
Buttoning his white shirt the day he gets married…
(And probably not having to work as hard to get it done)
I broke down.
Like...I broke. down.
Something came over me and I literally started crying. I sat there on the floor in my dress and just watched him and cried.
After a couple of minutes he spotted me. He smiled that famous shy, dimpled-grin of his where his huge brown eyes seem to somehow get even bigger.
He promptly walked right over to where I was sitting on the floor and gave me the biggest warmest and longest hug.
Of course that made me cry more.
(at this point I really wished I hadn't put on my makeup yet)
We finished hugging, he smiled at me again and went on his way, leaving me sitting on the floor alone.
I stood up, wiped my eyes, and went on my way too, wishing time would just slow down a little.
Sometimes being a mom is more than my meager little soul can handle.

5 comments:
this made me get a little teary - you are such a talented writer/blogger! teach me your ways!
So sweet. I've never even met Sam, but he always steals my heart! You're such an awesome mom!
You made me cry too. Oh man!
Inside out collars, and crooked ties. Mismatched socks, and backwards pants. These are a few of my favorite things. Slow down time, I can't keep up.
What a great memory.
I came by your blog to see how you are. You always have such beautiful posts. Good luck with # 4... You're a fabulous mother!
Marie, I re-read this tonight, and cried a second time. This may be your best writing--not only in style but also in content. You have such acute perception and the ability to express beautifully those perceptions. I am so proud to have contributed a little bit of DNA to the wonderful woman you are.
Post a Comment