Wednesday, July 13, 2016

crappy days happen...and that's okay.

Last week was a rough one.  That cute fourth child of mine has given me some new experiences and challenges that I don't remember having with the other kids and it's been quite exhausting/frustrating.  There are some days when I think "Oh, I soooooo got this." and other days I'm like "What the holy crap am I doing?!?!?!"  This particular week was filled with so much anxiety and worry and stress and I-am-the-worst-mother-on-earth types of days.  You know those days?  Yeah, they're no fun.

At the end of the week the kids and I took a much needed outing to the pool.  I forgot Will's shirt so I put Jack's shirt on him instead, and for some reason seeing him in that huge shirt struck us all as the funniest thing ever and we all had a great time laughing about it.  It felt good to laugh with the kids and it was a good ending to a not-so-good week.
I went to a baby shower for my sweet sister a few weeks ago.  I sat next to her and listened as she was bombarded with loads and loads of advice about how to handle life as a first-time mom.  Heaven knows I've learned a lot from advice over the years, but all of the "Do this, DON'T do this, make SURE you do this exactly this way or your life will be miserable!" was making even me turn into a nervous wreck.    I thought, "Awww geez, I don't do things that way with my kids, I must be doing everything wrong!"  But then I remembered that is just stupid and untrue.  And after I got that nonsense out of my head all I wanted to do was give my cute sis a hug and say..."This is all good advice....BUT!....if certain things just don't work for YOU and YOUR baby....don't worry, it's okay.  It's okaaaaaaaaaay!"

There are sooooooo many ups and downs with this motherhood thing.  Sometimes I cannot believe that God trusts us mere humans to do it.  Sheesh, it is hard!  I've learned these past 8+ years that when it comes to being a mama I just gotta roll with the punches.  Flexibility is key, folks!  Flexibility...and prayer.

As for my crappy week, we made it through.  Life goes on and I get a new chance every single morning to try to do better than the day before.  The truth is...no matter how rough my days are, there isn't anything else I'd rather be doing.  Onward and upward, mamas!

2 comments:

Jane Anne said...

Great photos Marie and as always, very insightful thoughts. Love reading this.

Kimberly Woodhead said...

I remember having those same feelings at the shower! Every mom is different and has to do what is best for her and her kids. So glad I have you as an example of a fantastic mom!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...