Friday, February 22, 2008

We've Got Jungle Fever!

So far, Jack hasn't been one of those babies who can just "hang out". What I mean by this is that he's really only happy if one of us is holding him. We put him in his swing...he freaks out. We pick him up...he's fine. We put him in his crib and turn on the mobile...he freaks out. We pick him up...he's fine. Even if we lay him on the floor RIGHT in front of us and try to play with him...yes, you guessed it - he'll freak out but as soon as we pick him up, he's fine.

Ok, three things: One: I fully admit that, as new parents, we may just be huge pushovers. I'm sure some will say it's not good to pick your baby up every time they cry....but I think that's just mean and stupid. Sorry. Two: maybe WE'RE the ones who are freaking out too much about this. I mean, maybe this is totally normal because after all, he is still really young, right? And three: I am definitely NOT complaining! I do love that he is attached to us, that he needs and loves us, and that he wants to be with us. I know days like this are numbered, and that it won't be long before he won't want us around so much. (Oh my gosh I totally just teared up! I'm such a baby.)

But even still - this immense attachment he has to us (which, again, I am NOT complaining about!) has made it nearly impossible for me to get anything done since he was born. And for me, that's really hard to handle. I've always been a huge "list person". I love getting things done and being able to cross them off my list. (I love this so much that if I happen to accomplish something that's NOT on my list, I will actually write it down just so I have the pleasure of crossing it off! Sad, I know.) Anyway, needless to say, my beloved lists have basically gone out the window since I became a mom. So the other day I decided to get online and try to find something that just might entertain Jack for even a mere ten minutes...just long enough to clean the bathroom or make the bed or do the dishes...anything! I found a cute liitle "Jungle Playmat" and, after reading all the great reviews, I decided it just might work. Kurt was sweet enough to run to Target in the freezing cold last night to get it.

When he got back we witnessed nothing short of a miracle! (Ok maybe that's an exaggeration.) But still, it worked! For an entire 20 minutes Jack was mesmorised by all the jungle animals, fun colors and music - and we were able to sit down and have dinner together for once instead of one of us holding him while the other eats. So now we have what we like to call Jungle Fever baby!!

I can't wait to see how much I can get done today. Hey, maybe I'll even make a list!




*A side note: I just want to add that Kurt has been an AMAZING help since Jack was born. He has done so much for me...cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping, laundry, everything! Even with his busy school schedule he does SO much for me at home. THANK YOU KURTY! I LOVE YOU!

8 comments:

Trish said...

I am so going to Target today! Thanks for the hint. Love you guys.

Janice said...

I found you through your mom's blog:
I have four very happy children who I didn't put down for the first 6 months of their lives. I firmly believe that babies just need to know they are loved and their parents will respond their needs. It makes them more secure older children. This is my very not so humble opinion. So, keep holding him. They grow too big too fast.

Janice said...

The previous comment was meant as compliment to you. Those toys let you go to the bathroom and maybe take a shower. I own several.

Amy Jane said...

ok, that is too funny about the lists! i totally do that too! so lillias is not as much of an uppie (is that a word) baby, but i do have to be in her sight... so last week i went to the library and got some baby einstein’s....she loves them! i actually cleaned the bathrooms and the kitchen floor and even did a load of laundry! so maybe if/when his mini jungle no longer does the trick you'll have a new one :)

Jana said...

I laughed at your comment about adding things that you have done to your list. I am going to try that. Love the jungle. Enjoy your 15 minutes of peace...

The Stone's said...

I totally do the same thing with the lists, and that same thing happened with me with Sawyer, and let me just say... you're doing exactly the right thing! Lists can wait, but babies grow up! Now Sawyer is almost 10 mos. old and she's all over. She doesn't even want to be held! I'm so glad you found something that works! Sawyer's was an exersaucer! Bless the people that make baby toys! May I also suggest baby signing time! Soy's fave!

Jane Anne said...

Marie, you're such a good mom!!love you, mom

The Stone's said...

Neon... Me again! Sorry! Use the quote! I think everyone should hear it!Ü

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...