Friday, September 19, 2008

BAM!!!!!

Kurt found a really great deal on a pull-up bar he has wanted for a while so for an early birthday present we went and bought it for him last week at Target.

We put it in the bathroom doorway but we had to put it kind of low because of the low ceiling and we were afraid Kurt would hit his head every time he did a pull up. The only problem is now he has to duck every time he goes in there. "That's okay," he said. "I'll just remember to duck." Hmmm....I was a little worried but I thought I'd just wait and see how it went. That night I was in the kitchen and Kurt was in the bathroom getting ready for bed when I suddenly heard a huge "BAM!!!!" I knew right away what is was. I peaked my head around the corner to see Kurt hunched over holding his head.

"Oh my gosh are you okay?!"

"I forgot to duck. Crap that really hurt!"

Needless to say, he woke the next morning with a headache. But at least now that it had happened once he would remember to duck from now on. Or so I thought. That morning I heard another "BAM!!!!" And the next night he was on his way out of the bathroom again when I heard another monstrous "BAM!!!!" Oh and by the way these aren't just little taps on the head. These are full-on, full-speed like banging your head into a wall hits on the head. One time I asked him why he doesn't see the bar when he opens the door but he said it just sort of blends in. And I guess when you've been able to walk out of the bathroom peacefully and easily for the past year and a half, ducking can be hard to remember.

Anyway, this kept happening for a couple days so at this point I decided to intervene and try to help out. So I made a sign and hung it on the bathroom wall right next to the pull-up bar:

This helped for a couple days and I thought my genius idea was a winner. But before long I once again heard a huge "BAM!!!!" I actually saw this one happen and it seriously looked like he almost fell over backwards from hitting it so hard.

Once again, "Oh my gosh are you okay?!"

Silence. He was really mad.

He went back in the bathroom to assess the damage on his head and not even 2 minutes later I heard another huge "BAM!!!!" I am not kidding.

This time I was a little mad and I yelled, "OH MY GOSH YOU ARE SERIOUSLY GOING TO GET KNOCKED OUT ONE OF THESE DAYS!!!!"

This is what I saw the next time I was in the bathroom:

So far it has worked.

I sure am glad we put it lower so he wouldn't hit his head! :)

p.s. Jack's been working out pretty hard too...

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Hee hee!! I am laughing out loud, (sorry Kurt, not at you . . . OUCH) Marie - you described it so well, I felt like I was running into it myself! Great story, glad the sign is doing the trick now! Crossing my fingers for Kurt.

Jane Anne said...

I have tears in my eyes from laughing...but I am so sorry Kurt kept hitting his head. Really, I'm still laughing...but I'm so sorry too...

By the way, Mitch wants one of those for his birthday, where did you get it?

Trish said...

I started laughing at the beginning...I was rolling at the end. Seriously? Did he really run into it that many times?!? Funniest story I have read in awhile. Keep us posted on the week and Kurt's progress.

Julie said...

Okay, I'm sorry I'm laughing, but that is funny! As soon as I saw the picture of the sign on the wall I thought, "She should have put it on the bar." So then I laughed at the picture of it on the bar. Good luck with that and I hope Kurt doesn't have a permanent headache!

Ellen said...

That's hilarious! Hope the new placement of the sign does the trick! Poor Kurt! I bet he has a headache!

Amy Jane said...

ok, too funny... but poor kurt! i hope those arms are worth the head pain :)

Marlies said...

BAHAHAHAHA that is so funny!! i was laughing so hard!!!

Scott and Rachael said...

so funny... I love it!

Susan said...

I have tears running down my face and my stomach hurts from laughing so hard. THANKS. I needed that today.

Elder and Sister Grassli said...

How much does he want that bar, anyway?!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...