Ever since high school I've been a fan of country music. (Not the old twangy kind, but the new stuff.) However I didn't like Trace Atkins until I watched him on "Celebrity Apprentice" last year and totally fell in love with him because he was just so NICE!
Anyway, the reason I'm telling you this is because he has this song that I've heard on the radio about a million times but for some reason I've been paying more attention to the words lately. Maybe it's because I seem to find myself saying "Oh things will be better when....(fill in the blank)..." way too often. For example, "things will be better when we have a bigger apartment, or when we have money, or when school is over, etc, etc, etc...." Yes, I know it's a horrible habit to get into. But this is where this song comes in! I love the words and I'm really trying to take it to heart. So...here they are:
She was staring out that window of that SUV
Complaining, saying "I can't wait to turn 18."
She said "I'll make my own money, and I'll make my own rules."
Mamma put the car in park out there in front of the school
Then she kissed her head and said "I was just like you."
"You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this"
Before she knows it she's a brand new bride
In a one-bedroom apartment, and her daddy stops by.
He tells her "It's a nice place."
She says "It'll do for now."
Starts talking about babies and buying a house.
Daddy shakes his head and says "Baby, just slow down."
"You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this"
Five years later there's a plumber workin' on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'One kid's cryin', one kid's screamin'
She keeps apologizin'
He says "They don't bother me.
I've got 2 babies of my own.
One's 36, one's 23.
Huh, it's hard to believe, but ..."
"You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this"
You're gonna miss this Yeah, you're gonna miss this.
Anyway, looking back at my life there were so many times I should have just enjoyed the moment instead of wishing for something more. So I think we should all realize how great life is and just enjoy the moment because someday we might all miss where we are right now.
Okay I'm off my soap box now!
5 comments:
love that song for all the same reasons! goes right along with another country song "Don't Blink", Elder Holland's talk on women in April 2008, and President Monson's talk Joy in the Journey, don't you think?
Well said sweetie
i DON'T even like country music, not even the newer stuff, but I too fell in LOVE with Trace Atkins what a down to earth guy!!...marie, i love these lyrics as well, how smart you are to have figured this out so early in life! we really are ONLY happy when we are living in the moment and making life and adventure!
I love you.
Love that song... Love you for making it part of your life... You have the most amazing life... Live it up!
I LOVE that song, too! I blogged about it when I had heard it for the first time on the radio a while ago. It's hard to always live in the "now," but I love the message of that song and am trying to do it more.
Post a Comment