How how how how HOW is this boy FIVE already??!!
I don't have the words. I honestly just don't have the words.
I swear to you he was just born. JUST BORN.
Alright…this is making me cry so I'm stopping now.
For his special birthday date with grandma and grandpa he chose the Lego store (of course!):
And since one of my most favorite things to do is record the things that my kids say, here are some gems that have come out of Sam's mouth in recent weeks:
*****
"I know what I want to be when I grow up! A PROPHET!"
**
He's very aware of when he feels certain emotions. I was tucking him into bed one night and after I sang a primary song to him he said very proudly, "Yep. I felt Jesus again."
**
He and I went on a little "date" a few weeks ago to Kindergarten orientation. There was a sweet little boy there who was physically disabled and who needed a walker to help him get around. After orientation was over and we were on our way home I could tell something was on Sam's mind. I started asking questions and he finally opened up and told me all about the little boy with the walker. He literally broke down. Like, BROKE DOWN. Full on tears and sobbing. The thought of that little boy and his disability was literally more than his tender little heart could handle. We had a great conversation about how blessed we are to have bodies that work well and do everything we need them to. We talked about how he is going to meet a lot of people in his life who may look different but that doesn't mean we should treat them any differently. He kept saying how he can't wait for Kindergarten to start so he can "be that boy's friend" and if anyone is mean to him he'll "run over and tell them to STOP." He cried a lot that day and would come over to me occasionally, look up at me with his huge brown eyes brimming with tears and say "mom, I'm thinking about that boy again."
OH THE SWEETNESS OF THIS CHILD! Bless his tender heart.
**
I let Sam "babysit" Nora once while I went to pick up Jack from school. She was napping and I told him I'd give him a quarter if he stayed home in case little sis woke up. I was gone for maybe 10 minutes a the very most. When I left him he was peacefully watching a movie in the kitchen with a slice of pizza, and when I got back the kitchen was a disaster. 10 minutes, people!! Apple juice all over the counter and floor, couch cushions stacked up under the fridge as makeshift ladder, plastic wrap and popsicle sticks everywhere! I just stood there in shock until I saw his cute little face peek out from behind the counter and say happily, "I made juice pops!!"
Regretfully, my first thought was annoyance, but he was so happy and proud and excited. So I kept my mouth shut, wiped up the apple juice, and put the couch cushions back.
He's lucky he's face is so stinkin' cute ;)
**
Oh, my sweet Sammy, how I love you!
Yes, you stomp your feet and throw your fits. You yell at your little sister daily, and there's no doubt you know how to push my buttons at times. But honestly, your inherent sweetness makes up for all of that :) You were born with the gift of a tender heart and anyone who knows you knows of your goodness.
I passed by your bedroom door the other night when you were supposed to be sleeping. I heard your out-of-control giggling and couldn't help but pause and listen. All I wanted in that moment was for you to stay little forever.
Happy birthday, baby boy. I love you more than words.



1 comment:
Ok this seriously made me tear up! Sammy seriously is inherently sweet. And you are one amazing mom!!
Post a Comment