Monday, July 13, 2015

can I get a woot! woot!

This is easily the highlight of our summer so far.
Over the weekend the boys learned how to ride their bikes without training wheels, and I am One. Happy. Mama!
I did not see this coming but I'm beyond thrilled.  I'd been trying to get Jack interested in learning for a couple of years now, but the desire was just never there so I stopped pushing.  Then came along little Sammy who - all on his own - decided he was determined to learn.  I YouTubed a couple videos and then officially started trying on Thursday.  After about a day of watching his little brother, Jack decided he was now interested in learning, too (haha) and by Sunday night they both had it!

There are a couple things that made this experience special:
1.  I love that they learned that even if something is difficult and frustrating at the beginning, if you keep practicing you WILL eventually get it, and enjoy it.
2.  I am happy that Sam got the hang of it slightly before Jack did.  As the little brother, he's almost always "second" and I think it was good for him to feel special and confidant that he learned something hard before his big brother did. 

Anyway, I am so proud of them both, and this has truly transformed our summer.  They now LOVE going outside all on their own and riding their bikes together.
They love it … I love it … it's a win win.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...