Tuesday, September 1, 2015

bittersweet-ness

2nd Grade and Kindergarten.  WHAT?!

They started school a couple of weeks ago and I can't believe it.  It seems like whenever I type up one of these milestone posts I find myself thinking the exact same thing every single time.  "How did this happen?  Seriously, HOW did this just happen?!  How are they already this old?  How does the time go so dang fast?  Weren't they JUST born?!"

The truth is, as soon as I had my first baby, life suddenly became very bittersweet.  I swear with each sweet milestone there's always that tinge of bitter.  Hidden in all of the sweetness of a first word or a first step or a first day of school is that subtle reminder that they are growing up and there's no stopping it.

Let me say this, I am not trying to take happy moments and turn them into sad or negative ones.  I am all about focusing on the positive and enjoying the moment.  Hey I give my kids the "is the glass half empty or half full?" lecture on a weekly basis.   Be grateful.  Be positive.  Enjoy the goodness when you have it!  I believe strongly in all of these things.  However, when you create life and then watch that life grow up before your very eyes, you can't help but be a little sad even during the happy moments.  Maybe even especially during the happy moments.   It's difficult for me to handle and for crying out loud my oldest isn't even eight years old yet!  Geez, I'm a mess I tell ya.  Can you imagine how I'm going to be during the first date or high school graduation milestones?!...let's not go there.

Jack and Sam, I know you are rocking 2nd grade and Kidnergarten right now.  I'm excited to see you in a couple of hours.  I've got hand sanitizer ready for when you walk in the door, peaches for an after school snack, and lots of annoying questions to try to find out every single detail of your day :)
Love you tons, my little dudes.

1 comment:

Kimberly Woodhead said...

Cutest boys around!! You put my feelings of bittersweetness into words perfectly - I get a little sad at milestones too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...