Tuesday, December 6, 2011

four.


{a few words that come to mind when I think about this kid.}

Jack is four. Jack is FOUR!!?
I can't believe how fast time goes. I still remember perfectly that late winter night in Ohio when I saw my little boy for the first time.
I have a very specific memory of those first few minutes after he was born. They brought him over to me all wrapped up so I could hold him for the first time. I looked down at him and we had eye contact. As we were staring into each others eyes I told him, "I love you so much....but I have no idea what to do with you."
I was so nervous. I'm still nervous, but I've learned a lot along the way.
Today, I told Jack about this story. Afterward, he wanted me to hold him "like a baby" and "look at his eyes" like I did in the story. So sweet.


The famous dollar bill chain from Gram Bernie....with 4 dollars of course :)

Sam thoroughly enjoyed the birthday cake...
Here are a few really great Jack moments from the past few months:

- He woke up from his nap one day (yes, he'll still take a nap, it's wonderful) and told me as I layed next to him that he'll love me "always and forever"...even when I'm an "old grandma".

- Jack: "Mom, do you know where chickens come from?"
Me: "Where?"
Jack: "Chickens!!!"
-Jack: "Mom, do you know where clothes come from?"
Me: "Where?"
Jack: "Sheep!!!"

- We were at the park and Jack started playing with a little boy who was wearing a jersey with the number 6 on it. He wanted to introduce me to his new friend so he brought him over to me and said matter-of-factly, "Mom, this is my friend 'six'", thinking this was the boy's name because it was on his shirt. So funny.

- He calls the dangly thing in the back of his throat an "upside down bowling pin"

- He told me that a "hunk back whale" is called that because it "swims backwards"

- He said one day through tears, "I'm frustrated! I don't want a baby brother, can he go back in your tummy? How do we get him back in your tummy?"

-He'll eat carrots and cucumbers like candy.

-Most people think he's older than he really is.

- His birthday gift from aunt Marlies was a gum ball machine. But what does he excitedly shout out when he opens it? "It's a gum ball DISPENSER!!" Dispenser? Really?

- I was talking to Kurt on the phone one day about how I needed to pray to Heavenly Father for some help with some things. This was the conversation that followed:
Jack: "Mom, I heard you say you were going to pray to Heavenly Father."
Me: "yes, honey, I need to ask Him to help me."
Jack (very excitedly): "I'll pray to Heavenly Father for you!!!!!"
Me: "Thank you sweetheart!"
Jack: "Oh it's no problem, mom."

Happy Birthday my Jack! I can't believe how fast time flies.
I love you.

3 comments:

Marlies said...

Gosh I love that handsome boy! So cute! And I love his "four year old smile"

Jane Anne said...

Oh man, I love that boy too...and his mom ...and his dad...and his little brother.

Marie you should write a childrens book or something. You have a very good way with words that draws the reader into the emotion of what you are saying...just add that to the list of things you are doing!

Seriously.....

Anonymous said...

Not only is that son of yours rather dashing with that killer smile but he is funny and clever!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...